Can Male Fertility Be Optimized?October 17, 2018
Male fertility can be optimized through some basic lifestyle adjustments, if fertility is not compromised by means beyond your control. In other words, it’s possible for a fertile male to become his most fertile self if several key lifestyle factors are improved.
In order to establish whether or not you have a fertile baseline, you can engage in fertility testing. Evaluating sperm for optimum volume, motility and morphology, is generally a first step in the fertility treatment process for men who have been unable to conceive a baby with their partner after trying for about a year.
However, when you are just beginning to think about having a child — and even earlier — it’s a great idea to optimize these five aspects of your life to enhance your fertility potential.
1. Maintain a healthy weight. Research indicates that obesity can decrease sperm count and inhibit sperm movement.
2. Exercise regularly. Not only will this help you maintain a healthy weight, but it can also help you manage stress and increase your levels of antioxidant enzymes. This can make for more powerful sperm and a healthier sex life. That said, you don’t want to overdo it. Too much strain on your body can have adverse effects on your health and fertility.
3. Avoid sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Common STDs like chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause male infertility and make conception difficult; not to mention that these diseases can be shared with an intended mother and harm her fertility.
4. Cut back on toxins. This means you should quit smoking, limit your alcohol intake, stop using lubricants during sex, and avoid touching toxic chemicals (for work, for gardening, etc.). It’s also a good idea to talk to your doctor about any medications you are taking to find out whether they can be detrimental to your fertility.
5. Keep your groin cool. Avoid hot tubs, tight pants, or sitting under your laptop for long periods of time. Heat can damage healthy sperm, thereby curbing your fertility.
In short, it is possible to optimize male fertility in a healthy, fertile male. Start with these five behavior modifications in order to foster optimum fertility as you begin your journey to fatherhood.blog comments powered by Disqus Previous Next